· On September 8th a 6.8 magnitude earthquake occurred in Morocco. The epicenter of the earthquake was 44 miles southwest of Marrakesh. The areas most affected are remote and mountainous and not easily reached.
· The Moroccan National Institute of Geophysics stated that this level of seismic activity is the first recorded in a century.
· The Moroccan government is reporting 1,037 fatalities and 1,832 injured.
· The Moroccan government has begun response efforts. The initial priorities are:
o Strengthen search and rescue teams.
o Speed up the process of evacuating the wounded.
o Provide the affected areas with safe drinking water.
· The Royal Armed Forces has deployed search and rescue teams, medical personnel, and a mobile surgical hospital to the affected areas.
· Moroccan Red Crescent teams were immediately deployed and are supporting local authorities to assess the situation, support search and rescue operation and providing mass care assistance.
· The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent has released one million Swiss Francs from the Disaster Response Emergency Fund to support the Moroccan Red Crescent.
· The Pacific Disaster Center conducted an analysis of likely impacts, here are the results:
o An estimated 5.78 million people are exposed, this includes 289,273 vulnerable individuals.
o 54 Hospitals are estimated to be exposed.
o The breakdown of population needs is:
ü 607 million calories per day
ü 867,820 liters of water per day
· International Support:
o The UN Secretary-General has stated that the UN is ready to assist Morocco.
o The United Nations Satellite Centre has been activated to support relief efforts.
o The EU has activated the Copernicus Emergency Management Services for satellite mapping support.
· Cultural Heritage Impact:
o Blue Shield France is reporting that the tomb of Al-Mahdi ibn Tumart in the Tanmal Mosque was destroyed by the earthquake.
o Damage has also been reported in parts of Marrakesh's Medina, which is a World Heritage Site.
· ReliefWeb Morocco Earthquake Website
· Morocco - Earthquake ( DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 09 September 2023)
· Pacific Disaster Center Twitter Page
· OCHA MENA Twitter Page
· UNOSAT Twitter Page
· Moroccan Government Twitter Page
· Moroccan Directorate General of National Security Twitter Page
· IFRC MENA Twitter Page
· Blue Cross France Twitter Page
UNITAR, 6.8 Earthquake Web Map
Earthquake: Marrakesh-Safi, Morocco (08 September 2023)