Military and Diplomatic Highlights:
· Intense Israeli bombardments from air, land, and sea continued across much of the Gaza Strip on January 18, resulting in further civilian casualties and destruction.
· The indiscriminate firing of rockets by Hamas from Gaza continued.
· Ground operations and fighting between Israeli forces and Hamas were also reported across much of Gaza.
· The Israel Defense Force (IDF) reported that they have dismantled a Hamas weapons manufacturing industry in the center of Gaza. These facilities were located above and below ground.
Civil Protection and Humanitarian Assistance Highlights:
· The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) reported that two of their Emergency Medical Services (EMS) centers in Gaza and Northern Gaza are out of service, due the following issues:
o Lack of fuel
o IDF restricting access and the movement of medical teams.
· The PRCS in collaboration with the Egyptian Red Crescent Society distributed 3,000 food parcels to 16,000 people in two camps.
· On January 17th, 98 truckloads with food, medicine and other supplies entered through Rafah and Kerem Shalom crossings.
· As of January 17th, a World Food Programme convoy delivered food supplies to people in North Gaza last week for the first time since November's humanitarian pause.
· Healthcare and Public Health Update:
o As of January 16th, the World Health Organization reported that 15 of 36 hospitals are partially functional.
o The UN Agency for Palestine Refugees reported that only six of their 22 health centers are operational in the middle and southern areas of Gaza.
o The PRCS are working on repairing the Al Quds Hospital so it can serve as a medical post.
· Telecommunications services in Gaza as of January 18th were still off-line. This is the seventh time that communications have stopped working since October 7th.
Violations of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Highlights:
· The PRCS has lost eight members over the course of the conflict.
· On January 18th, the non-governmental organization Medical Aid for Palestinians reported the following:
o At 6am their compound in Gaza, which houses members of their Emergency Medical Team, and their International Rescue Team was severely damaged as a result of a missile strike.
o Several injuries were reported.
o This organization had been providing surgery and other medical treatment supporting the overstretched medical staff in Nasser hospital.
· Following the strike, staff have been evacuated and can no longer continue working at the hospital.
· Hostilities in the Gaza Strip and Israel | Flash Update #96
· Palestine Red Crescent Society Response Report As of Saturday, October 7th 2023, 18:00 PM until Monday, January 15, 2024, 24:00 AM
· Israeli Defense Forces Twitter Page
· Palestine Red Crescent Society Twitter Page
· UN Agency for Palestine Refugees Twitter Page
· WHO Occupied Territories Twitter Page
ADL, We Stand with Israel Website
· UN Crisis Relief, Occupied Palestinian Territories
· WHO Foundation, Gaza Crisis: Help Save Lives
· UN Migration Agency, Gaza