Hamas attack on Israel Situation Report #1
· This morning Hamas infiltrated over 20 Israeli communities and started going house to house and murdering civilians and abducting civilians and soldiers. They also launched over 3,000 missiles targeting locations in the south and central parts (including Jerusalem) of Israel.
· Over 200 Israelis have been killed and over 1,000 injured.
· Israeli civilians in the southern and central areas of the country are directed to stay near protected areas and follow the instructions of the Home Front Command.
· Israel in response to Hamas’ attacks has declared war on Hamas and the operation is called Operation Swords of Iron.
· The Israeli Prime Minister has laid out the objectives of the government’s response:
o Clear out the hostile forces that infiltrated Israel and restore the security of the communities that have been attacked.
o Exact a price on Hamas operating in the Gaza Strip.
o Reinforce other fronts to discourage other parties from joining Hamas.
· The Israeli government has ordered an extensive mobilization of reserve troops.
· The Israeli Prime Minister has issued a statement that they hold Iran directly responsible for these attacks.
· Magen David Adom (MDA) is actively responding in the affecting areas and are reporting the following:
o MDA teams are searching the following areas (Yavne, Givatayim, Bat Yam, Beit Dagan, Tel Aviv, and Rishon Letzion) for reports of additional victims.
o MDA Blood Services are holding blood drives across several locations to help supply hospitals.
o Using specialized vehicles, MDA is transferring patients to hospitals in Central Israel, away from the epicenter of the attacks in the South.
o One MDA staff member has been killed and five others have been injured.
· The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) is reporting the following:
o At least 20,363 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) are being housed in 44 UNRWA schools in the Gaza Strip.
o Three UNRWA schools were affected by collateral damages caused by Israeli airstrikes.
o All 22 UNRWA Health centers are currently closed.
o UNRWA food distribution operations have been suspended until further notice. This is impacting 541,640 people who rely on this assistance.
· The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) is reporting that there are 92 killed in the Occupied territories and 364 injured.
· Israeli forces have targeted three ambulances belonging to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.
· The International Committee of the Red Cross is calling on all parties to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law and take all feasible precautions to protect civilians.
· The EU Commission and the United States of America have condemned Hamas’ attacks on Israel and reaffirmed Israel’s right to self-defense.
· The United States is reporting the following:
o U.S. Embassy personnel in Israel are sheltering in place.
o The United States reports that Ben Gurion Airport remains open, but the security situation and staff availability could affect flights. U.S. citizens are encouraged to check with their airlines on the availability of flights and flight status.
o U.S. citizens in Gaza who wish to leave and can do so safely are advised to check the status of the Rafah Crossing into Egypt.
o The United States reports that the Jordanian land border crossings at King Hussein/Allenby Bridge, at Aqaba/Eilat in the south, and the Jordan River Crossing in the north are closed or may be closed at any time for an unknown period.
· The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights is calling for an immediate stop to the violence and urges de-escalation to avoid further bloodshed.
· UNRWA Situation Report # 1 on the situation in the Gaza Strip, 7 October 2023
· Prime Minister of Israel Twitter Page
· Israeli Defense Forces Twitter Page
· Home Front Command Twitter Page
· Magen David Adom Twitter Page
· OCHA Occupied Territories Twitter Page
· ICRC Twitter Page
· Palestine Red Crescent Society Twitter Page
· U.S. State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs Twitter Page
· President of the EU Commission Twitter Page