Emergency Manager's Weekly Report
Equatorial Guinea & Tanzania Marburg Outbreaks Situation Report #3
· No confirmed cases of Marburg Virus Disease (MVD) related to these outbreaks have been reported in the United States or other countries outside Equatorial Guinea and Tanzania.
· Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that these two outbreaks are related; most experts agree that these represent two independent animal-to-human spillover events.
· Equatorial Guinea Update:
o The World Health Organization (WHO) is reporting that as of April 5th, there are now 14 confirmed cases of MVD.
o An awareness campaign in the country is ongoing.
· Tanzania Update:
o There have been no changes in the number of cases in the country since the last situation report.
o WHO has joined the national and regional Rapid Response Teams in Kagera to support the response.
o WHO and the U.S. Agency for International Development has donated personal protective equipment to the Tanzania Ministry of Health to support the government's effort towards containing the spread of the virus in the Kagera Region.
· WHO African Region Twitter Page
· WHO Equatorial Guinea Twitter Page
· WHO Tanzania Twitter Page
· NETEC Twitter Page
· CDC Health Advisory
Marburg virus outbreaks highlight link between health and planet: Tedros