Military and Diplomatic Highlights:
· The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reported on January 30th several launches from Syria targeting the southern Golan Heights. Israeli fighter jets in response targeted Syrian military infrastructure.
· On February 1st, IDF operating in Khan Yunis killed several terrorists and destroyed a long-range missile launcher.
· As of January 31st, an additional four IDF soldiers were killed.
Civil Protection and Humanitarian Assistance Highlights:
· On January 31st, the Israeli Prime Minster states that the UN Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) mission should end:
o The Prime Minister further claimed that the organization has been totally infiltrated with Hamas.
o UNRWA reported that a total of 16 donor countries have stopped financially supporting the agency.
o Without funding, the agency will be forced to stop humanitarian aid operations by the end of February.
o UNRWA is the largest humanitarian organization in Gaza. Of its 13,000 staff, more than 3,000 are still working in Gaza.
· Healthcare and Public Health Updates:
o On January 31st, Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) reported that the courtyard of Al Amal Hospital was stormed and that the IDF were positioned in front of the emergency room’s external gate.
o The World Health Organization (WHO) on February 1st, has provided UNRWA with WHOs Early Warning, Alert, and Response System in a box to boost disease surveillance in areas without power or internet.
o As of February 1st, the PRCS advanced medical point in Mawasi, Khan Yunis is handling 60-80 cases daily.
o On January 30th, PRCS delivered 25 Oxygen cylinders for Al-Amal Hospital.
· UNOSAT has identified 69,147 affected structures:
o 22,131 destroyed structures.
o 14,066 severely damaged structures
o 32,950 moderately damaged structures.
· The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) released a report on the social and economic deterioration in Gaza:
o The Gazan economy had already contracted by 4.5% in the first three quarters of 2023. The Israeli military operation has greatly accelerated the decline and precipitated a 24% GDP contraction and a 26.1% drop in GDP per capita for the entire year.
Violations of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Highlights:
· As of January 31st, PRCS reports that two staff members (Naeem Hasan Al-Jabali and Khalid Kulab) were killed by gunfire near the Al Amal Hospital gates.
· On February 1st, the IDF released PRCS staff member Muhammed Abu Rukbeh who was detained by Israel 42 days ago. The IDF is still detaining three PRCS staff members.
· The fate of two PRCS staff members who were dispatched to rescue 6-year-old Hind is still unknown.
· Hostilities in the Gaza Strip and Israel | Flash Update #107
· Preliminary assessment of the economic impact of the destruction in Gaza and prospects for economic recovery - UNCTAD rapid assessment (January 2024)
· UNOSAT Gaza Strip Comprehensive Damage Assessment - January 2024
· Prime Minister of Israel Twitter Page
· Israeli Defense Forces Twitter Page
· Palestine Red Crescent Society Twitter Page
· UN Agency for Palestine Refugees Twitter Page
· WHO Occupied Territories Twitter Page
· EU ECHO Twitter Page
UNOSAT Gaza Strip Agricultural Damage Assessment - January 2024 (New)
ADL, We Stand with Israel Website
· UN Agency for Palestine Refugees (New)
· UN Crisis Relief, Occupied Palestinian Territories
· WHO Foundation, Gaza Crisis: Help Save Lives
· UN Migration Agency, Gaza