Hamas attack on Israel Situation Report #3
· The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is reporting the following activities:
o There were several launches from Syria on October 10th. Part of these launches crossed into Israel and hit open areas. IDF responded with artillery and mortar fire.
o Also on October 10th, rockets were launched from Lebanon. IDF tanks in response struck two observation posts belonging to Hezbollah.
o Hamas converted the Islamic University in Gaza into a training camp for weapons development and military intelligence. IDF forces destroyed this site on October 11th.
o The Israeli Air Force struck over 200 Hamas targets in the Al-Furqan neighborhood.
o On October 11th, the IDF reported a suspected infiltration from Lebanon into Israeli airspace.
· The Israel Police working with the Ministry of Defense, the Israel Security Agency and other nation’s intelligence agencies froze a Barclays bank and several cryptocurrency accounts used by Hamas.
· Israeli Police on October 8th in collaboration with Homefront Command and other agencies has established a missing person’s command center.
· The Israeli National Emergency Authority reports that there are no shortage of products or gaps in the supply chain. Citizens are advised that there is no reason for stockpiling supplies.
· On October 9th, the Israel Fire and Rescue Authority reported that Deputy Staff Commander Roy Moshe at the Beer Sheva Fire Station was killed in the line of duty. He is survived by his wife and two children.
· The Magen David Adom (MDA) is reporting the following as of October 10th:
o A total of 10,000 first responders are staffing of 1,400 ambulances.
o They have treated over 3,000 victims.
· The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) main goals remain to help avoid conflict between Lebanon and Israel. UNIFIL reported the following activities:
o On October 9th UNIFIL peacekeepers detected explosions near Al-Boustan in southwest Lebanon.
o UNIFIL detected rockets being fired from the south of Tyre into Israel.
o UNIFIL continues to communicate with authorities on both sides of the Blue Line.
· The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has reported that five members of their National Societies (Magen David Adom & Palestine Red Crescent Society) have been killed performing their duties. IFRC has stressed that humanitarian workers should not be targeted.
· The UN Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) is reporting the following:
o 11 staff members has been killed since October 7th in Gaza. Some of these staff members were killed in their homes with their families.
o There are nearly 175,500 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) being sheltered in 88 UNRWA schools.
o Two UNRWA schools were affected by airstrikes, bringing the total number of installations affected by the conflict to 20.
o In coordination with the World Food Programme, bread was distributed to the IDPs in the shelters.
o Only 11 out of 22 UNRWA Health Centers across the Gaza Strip can provide primary healthcare services. These centers are staffed by 111 personnel (12% of their total staff).
· As of October 10th, the World Health Organization (WHO) is reporting the following in the Occupied Territories:
o A total of 783 Palestinians has been killed and 4,100 injured.
o Since October 7th, there have been 37 attacks on healthcare. This includes:
ü The 22 attacks in the Gaza Strip have resulted in six fatalities of health care workers, eight injuries, and affected 13 health care facilities and 15 ambulances.
ü 15 attacks on health care in the West Bank include 13 attacks involving obstruction to delivery of healthcare; five involving physical violence towards health teams; four involving detention of health staff and ambulances; and three involving militarized search of health assets.
o Since Israel has ceased supplying electricity to the Gaza Strip, hospitals have heavily relied on generators, which is further driving up the demand for fuel. WHO is concerned that some hospitals only have fuel to last up to four days.
o There is also an increased demand for fuel for ambulances, which must be transported from Israel and are not allowed into Gaza due to movement restrictions.
· The United States of America is reporting the following:
o The President has advised that the nation’s defense posture in the region has been enhanced and that any organization or nation that are seeking to take advantage of the situation, should not attempt to do so.
o The USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group has arrived in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea.
o The U.S. Department of Defense is surging replacement interceptors for Israel’s Iron Dome.
o A total of 14 American citizens have been killed.
o At least 20 Americans are reporting as being unaccounted for as of October 10th.
o The United States is working with other nations that are in contact with Hamas to express to them that hostages that have taken should be immediately released.
o There is no specific intelligence that Iran has supported or directly orchestrated the attacks, however intelligence is still being gathered to determine their level of involvement.
o The U.S. State Department is reporting the following:
ü The Travel Advisory for Israel and the West Bank has been raised to Level 4 (Do Not Travel).
ü The U.S. Embassy in Beirut has not evacuated and is open and operating normally.
· On October 9th, the European Commissioner for Crisis Management reports that EU humanitarian aid to Palestinians will continue to be provided.
· UNRWA Situation Report # 4 on the situation in the Gaza Strip, 11 October 2023
· U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing - October 10, 2023 - 1:15 PM
· Israel Ministry of Defense Twitter Page
· Israeli Defense Forces Twitter Page
· Magen David Adom Twitter Page
· Israel Fire and Rescue Authority Facebook Page
· Israel Police Twitter Page
· UNRWA Twitter Page
· WHO in Occupied Palestinian Territory Twitter Page
· United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon Twitter Page
· IFRC Twitter Page
· Palestine Red Crescent Society Twitter Page
· EU ECHO Twitter Page
· President of the United States Twitter Page
· U.S. State Department Twitter Page
· U.S. State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs Twitter Page
· U.S. Department of Defense Twitter Page
· U.S. Central Command Twitter Page
· PolitiFact Twitter Page
Israel Struggles to Contain the Conflict as Adversaries Seek to Open New Fronts (New)
White House, Joint Statement on Israel (New)
ADL, We Stand with Israel Website (New)
PolitiFact Fact Checks (New):
· Widely shared video of pro-Palestinian rally in Chicago is from 2021
· Fact-checking Tim Scott on Biden administration's early response to Hamas attacks in Israel
· Behind-the-scenes footage of short film isn’t Hamas propaganda
· Donald Trump was quoting U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar when he said Israel hypnotized the world
· Memo showing White House approved $8 billion to Israel is altered
· UN Crisis Relief, Occupied Palestinian Territories
· Sderot Foundation(New)
· Soroka Medical Center (New)